Doomcakes' Top 25 Underground Releases of 2023



It all comes to this.

The culmination of a year's work for most of my peers, and the culmination of about 4-7 months' work for me, depending on how generous and official we want to be with timelines. I started on Instagram in May of 2023, just some chick posting about obscure music for no particular reason. Come to find out, people actually value my opinion and like my taste sometimes, and now here I am making these lists that people actually read. Pretty cool. Even though I'm still a bit of a newbie around here, choosing a mere twenty-five underground releases to represent the best of 2023 was no easy task. Well, let me rephrase: choosing them wasn't too difficult, but ranking them? Oof. I had a vague idea of what was going in the top ten area, but there was one obvious choice for number one album of the year for me...

The rules here are pretty lenient; to qualify for this quaint little list, an album or EP simply has to be released in 2023 (a huge portion of the releases I chose are EPs, way too good not to recognize). These are the albums that I played over and over this year, and they all genuinely resonated with me. I think some of my choices will be quite predictable, and others may surprise you a bit. 

Without further ado, my Top 25 Releases of 2023:


Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):


Duskwood - The Last Voyage



Omega Sun - Roadkill



Blackwülf - Thieves and Liars



Formation Ritual - Doors to the Dead



Saltpig - Saltpig



Grand Atomic - Beyond The Realm Of Common Sense




Isolation Tank Ensemble - Heliography





Sedona Crystal Bitch - Sympathy For The She Devil







TOP 25 UNDERGROUND RELEASES OF 2023 (in descending order):


25. STONED JESUS - FATHER LIGHT

    Ukraine



24. HUMULUS - FLOWERS OF DEATH 

    Brescia, Italy 





23. LA CHINGA - PRIMAL FORCES

    Vancouver, British Columbia



 


22. KING POTENAZ - GOAT RIDER

    Fasano, Italy





21. ACIDSITTER - MAKE ACID GREAT AGAIN

    Kraków, Poland





20. GOAT EXPLOSION - THREATENING SKIES

    Leipzig, Germany





19. HOWLING GIANT - GLASS FUTURE

    Nashville, Tennessee 





18. STONE OF DUNA - MOONSPLITTER

    Gothenburg, Sweden 




17. HEY COLOSSUS - IN BLOOD

    UK





16. SONIC MOON - RETURN WITHOUT ANY MEMORY

    Aarhus, Denmark





15. WARCOE - A PLACE FOR DEMONS

    Pesaro, Italy





14. NOMESTOMPER - MOSSY COBBLESTONE CANDLELIGHT PAGAN NOMESTOMPER

    Albuquerque, New Mexico





13. FOOL'S IDOL - AUTUMN EP 

    Adelaide, Australia





12. KLEAZER - SIGNALS 

    Amsterdam, Netherlands



                           


11. FIRMAMENT - WE DON'T RISE, WE JUST FALL

    Leipzig, Germany





10. BLESSED BLACK - SEASONS, VOL. 1

    Cincinnati, Ohio



 


9. SATURNA - THE RESET

    Barcelona, Spain




8. BEASTWARS - TYRANNY OF DISTANCE

    Wellington, New Zealand





7. DAMAGE THERAPY - PANACEA

    Lexington, Kentucky





6. MANDALA - KINGS CREEK

    Luckenwalde, Germany



 


5. DISMYTH - FOREST OF THE SORROW

    Georgia





4. THE HEAVY MINDS - BEYOND GLOOM

    Austria





3. LORD VELVET - ASTRAL LADY

    Denver, Colorado 





2. YEAST MACHINE - RISE OF THE YEAST

    Tübingen, Germany





1. GIANT LUNGS - GIANT LUNGS 🏆

    Augsburg, Germany




And there you have it, the best of 2023 according to Doomcakes!

I want to say a huge thank you to the stoner/doom community, bands and fans alike, for always being awesome. I appreciate each and every one of you more than you know! 2023 has been an amazing year for underground music and, by default, for me. I can't wait to see what 2024 has in store! 

Stay tuned for the first ever "Stephanie Says Nice Things About an Album" review of my number one album of the year, Giant Lungs' self-titled debut! This will go live on January 2, 2024. Until then, I hope everyone has an amazing New Year's celebration! 

🖤 Much love,

Stephanie 


Comments

Popular Posts