Black Charger Releases New Single, "Small Town"

Black Charger is a stoner rock band from Germany. The band got their start in 2018 as a jam project, which led to them developing their own infectious signature sound (occasionally making side quests into 70s funk territory). Their primary influences are Black Sabbath, Kyuss, and the legendary Brant Bjork (hell yeah!). From the moment I heard their song, Liquor Store, I was immediately hooked on the raggedy bass, super fuzzy (nearly to the point of being gravelly) guitar, and melodic vocals. Black Charger's influences are all noticeable in their music, giving the listener the best of several different worlds. 

Today, the band has released their new single, Small Town. According to the band, this one is "about growing up in a small town, leaving, but coming back later with a different perspective." As someone who also grew up in a (very, very) small town, I can certainly relate. Although I've never made my way back to my old stomping grounds, there's certainly something about being away that forces you to see your hometown with new eyes, and there are definite pros and cons to small town life.

   

This song is just as catchy as Black Charger's other two songs that they currently have available (Liquor Store and Gimme a Gun), perhaps even more so. Small Town is a bit more upbeat with less of the doom influence and more of a classic stoner rock feel. In fact, I can't help but be reminded just a tiny bit of some of the garage punk anthems I lived for as a teenager, based on the lyrics and mood presented on this song. It reminds me of walking around town wearing my faded Misfits t-shirt with my Sony Walkman cranked up to max volume, dreaming of the day I'd make it out of the dead-end town fate had placed me in. Of course, we grow up, we leave, and we learn that the grass isn't necessarily always greener on the other side of the fence. 

I've been waiting for this single to drop since Black Charger announced it a few weeks ago (I had the date marked on my calendar like the complete and total nerd that I am...no shame) and found it to be well worth the wait. Make sure you give Small Town a listen and show Black Charger some much deserved love on the following sites:

Black Charger is:

Christian Bogelmann - guitar and vocals
Stephan Zech - bass
Uli Knost - drums


Comments

Popular Posts