Best New Releases June 2024

I'll be the first to admit, June wasn't my month for new releases.

Well, let me rephrase...it wasn't my month for a plethora of new releases. I know, I know...you're probably thinking, "Stephanie, I can think of at least fifteen epic albums that were released this month!" Eh...there just weren't many for me in June, and that's okay! I would always prefer that any albums that aren't necessarily my cup of tea get the love and attention they deserve from those that are genuinely psyched about them; it's impossible to write passionately and honestly about something that you're just not into. Most importantly, the three albums that did float my proverbial boat this month aren't mercy picks or anything, far from it. While these albums are all incredibly different, they're all standout, beautiful representations of their respective genres.

As always, here's exactly what I submitted to the Doom Charts this month, in ascending order:


1. Okolyt - Restless


Restless is an EP that I was waiting ever-so-patiently for after following Okolyt for a while now. 

Okolyt very accurately describes their music as "stony hard rock", harnessing both the retro vibe and raw power of old school heavy rock and the darkness and grit of stoner/doom. The hard rock element is provided primarily by the guitar, reminiscent of riffs of decades past in many places. On the other side of the equation, sinister, crawling bass is a constant throughout, representing Okolyt's stoner influences beautifully. On top of that, both percussion and vocals are incredibly adaptive as the style and mood of the music shifts. It probably goes without saying that this makes for a ton of variety on Restless, and a tremendously fun listen from start of finish for fans of a multitude of genres. This EP has been on massively heavy rotation for me all month long. 

Read my full review of Restless here.

Favorite Track: They Ain't Got No Right




 2. Horseburner - Voice of Storms



Voice of Storms has to be Horseburner's most complex, thoughtful release yet. These guys are incredible musicians and unbelievable storytellers, but the quality I love most about the band is their haunting vocal harmonies amid the intensity of their brand of progressive sludge, giving the sound a beautifully eerie sound. 

Read my interview with the band and a few words about the album here.

Favorite Track: Hidden Bridges 






3. Causa Sui - From The Source



Dutch instrumental psych virtuosos Causa Sui are back with their seventh studio album. This four-track release paints vivid but serene auditory panoramas of sultry nights, gentle waves, unexpected storms, and lazy daydreams, just in time for the peak of summer. With From The Source, Causa Sui continues to deliver their brand of immersive, multi-faceted sound that has a way of both hypnotizing you into meditative bliss and keeping you on your toes with ever-evolving sonic stories. 

Favorite Track: Sorcerer's Disciple





That's it for this month! You know what to do: get your tuchus out there and support your favorite underground artists! Summer is in full swing and so are the music festivals and live shows, and one of the best ways to support the heavy underground is buying tickets to these gigs and merch directly from the merch tables. Of course, it's easy, free, and just as important to show your support by following, liking, and sharing your favorite bands on all the social medias! 

I hope you all are having a beautiful summer, and I'll see you next month! 

Keep it heavy, 

Stephanie (Doomcakes) 


Comments

Popular Posts