Best New Releases July 2026
July was an incredibly hectic month for me, as I prepared to travel internationally for the first time ever in my almost-forty years. In fact, there's a good chance that as you're reading this, my happy ass is overseas attending a music festival and doing other obnoxious, touristy things (with some extra-special hosts). Because of my trip, I had to make my Best of the Month List early, so I'm sure I'll miss a few things (again). I promise, as soon as I'm home and reacclimated, I'll catch up. Until then, here are my favorite albums from the month in descending order (plus one honorable mention):
Honorable Mention:
Dead Meadow - Foundlings
Foundlings is a seven-track collection of previously unreleased gems from US psychedelic stoner trio Dead Meadow. This album unearths songs that were recorded between the years of 2002-2024, including an utterly mesmeric cover of Led Zeppelin's No Quarter.
Favorite Track: Lost to Light
Best New Releases July 2026
(in descending order)
4.) Ultracombo - Season 3
After a four-year studio hiatus, Italian stoner/alternative quartet Ultracombo is back with their new EP Season 3.
The vibrant opening track Out of My Mind is filled with soaring melody, darting guitar tones, and off-the-charts energy, an anthemic song reminiscent of modern fuzz rockers such as Truckfighters, Carson, and Witchrider. From here, the EP takes a sharp and ominous turn, launching into a set of moody tracks sung in a mix of English and the band's native Italian. Under a discernible cloak of darkness, these last four songs mount with tension before exploding into massive choruses, often launching directly into a towering wall of fuzz. This EP is also adorned with some standout spacey tones, giving some songs a discernible sci-fi feel.
All in all, Season 3 picks up right where Ultracombo's Season 2 EP (2022) left off. Much more than just a natural continuation, however, Season 3 shows the band energetically delivering their fuzzy signature sound while experimenting with darker moods.
3.) Irata - Human
Stoney alt rock trio Irata packs a ton of variety on their fourth album Human. Within the eight powerful tracks you'll find the perfect balance of tranquil respites, bursts of intensity, and exciting twists and turns. Generally speaking, the more laid-back songs on Human feature soothing 90s-era grunge and alternative tones, soothing vocal harmonies, and hypnotic melodies, reminiscent of bands like Torche. Conversely, the heavier tracks have a steely, spacey, Tool-esque progressive metal sound with crawling basslines and palpably tense atmospheres. The production is noticeably polished, but the recurrent stoner buzz and crunch of the guitar remind you that, at its core, Human is a raw underground rock album, giving me no doubt that these songs would sound incredible live.
Human marks the first time that I've listened to Irata, but it was more than enough to convince me that it won't be the last!
Favorite Track: Altar
2.) Troy the Band - (des)
The release of (des) is an interesting yet undeniably opportune time to stumble upon shoegazy noise rockers Troy The Band.
After the release of their debut album Cataclysm (2024), the London group parted ways with their original vocalist. Since then, Troy the Band has been working with a prime selection of guest singers including Soozi Chameleone (ex-Dead Witches) and Matt Sutton (Tayne), adding a plethora of unique and talented voices to their sophomore release. Further, the band has confirmed that one of these vocal contributors, keeper of badass siren song Ana-Maria Terr Bordei, will take over as their permanent singer (an absolutely perfect choice).
With that said, I have to implore you not to balk at the word "shoegaze" here. While Troy the Band certainly makes use of some bleak, atmospheric tones throughout (des), there are an equal or greater number of swells of stormy intensity in the mix, stirring forces summoned as much from rumbling instrumental crescendos as the unfettered expression from each and every vocalist. Undertows of doom add an additional layer of darkness while blistering stoner metal movements contribute an unrelenting harshness that effectively completes the spectrum of moods explored on (des).
However, I must add that, particularly as a millennial and a diehard fan of Lilith Fair-era female voices in rock, I'm utterly blown away and inspired by the girl power here. Fellas, you did a fantastic job as well, but the ladies really took it to another, goosebump-inducing level. Bravo!
Favorite Track: Denial
1.) Solace - Fading Failing Ruin
I've recently learned that Solace is kind of legendary around here - both in sound and when it comes to standing the test of time. The New Jersey-based band got their start 30 years ago and, over the years, has been artfully building upon a sturdy base of heavy metal, doom, and stoner metal.
Solace's fifth full-length album Fading Failing Ruin marks my first time hearing the band and I was absolutely giddy to find myself immersed in a sea of some of my favorite things upon pressing "play": smooth but powerful classic metal vocals, epic storytelling, and the sinister heft of doom combined with intricate heavy metal guitar work (think traditional doom bands such as Trouble and Reverend Bizarre), all often mixed with the longer-form style and twists and turns of prog.
Far from over-processed, Fading Failing Ruin possesses the perfect amount of raw analog quality to its sound, making it feel even more like it was plucked directly from the golden age of 80s-era traditional doom. Even so, the album simultaneously boasts a keen cinematic soul that's crystal clear, pulling the listener deep into its saga.
In short, Fading Failing Ruin is a modern classic from a band whose creative momentum knows no bounds (and no brake pedal).
Favorite Track: Beyond Below
That's it for July! I hope you enjoy these albums as much as I do!
Be sure to check out the Doom Charts this month where there are forty albums waiting for you to discover and show your favorite heavy underground artists some much- deserved love!
Follow Doomcakes on TikTok!
@doomcakes4 My picks for the best new heavy underground albums of July 2026! This list is short and possibly incomplete, since I'll be leaving on vacation soon and didn't have as much time to listen to music this month. I'll catch up, though! 😉 More info can be found on the blog, Screaming from the Heavy Underground, link in comments. #doomcharts #screamingfromtheheavyunderground #doom #stonerdoom ♬ original sound - Doomcakes




Comments
Post a Comment