Late to the Party: Swell O - Heavy Psych/Stoner Goodness From Bremen

 


Let's face it, no matter how much we try to stay on top of the new releases in the heavy underground, there are some that are going to fly under our radar. I can't tell you how frustrated I feel when, the very day after I submit my monthly submission of albums to the Doom Charts, I hear an amazing band that I would have happily included had I heard it just a little earlier. While I'm the most punctual person you'll ever meet, when it comes to staying on top of the "buzz", I'm really lame sometimes. So, I thought I'd start a new section on this little blog of mine called, "Late to the Party", in which I try to make amends to some of the awesome bands that I missed when their albums were first released. 

To kick things off, I'm psyched to share Swell O, a four-piece heavy psych/stoner outfit from Bremen, Germany. Swell O released their debut studio album, Morning Haze, in February 2023. To my credit, that was several months before I was involved with the Doom Charts, but these guys certainly would have gotten the highly sought-after (ha!) Stephanie Stamp of Approval had I been able to give it back then. Cool story: Swell O placed at number 24 on the Doom Charts in February 2023, but I think it's high time to remind the stoner/doom community just how cool this band is. Here we go:

Swell O consisted of Sönke and Sebastian both on vocals and guitars, Harald on bass, and Simo on drums for the recording of Morning Haze. (It seems a theramin makes an occassional appearance as well, thanks to Harald). Their material maintains variety due to the differing songwriting approaches of Sönke and Sebastian, who work together to create some incredibly catchy stoner and psychedelic rock jams. I hear a bit of a new wave influence as well, which is quite unique in stoner rock music. This only adds intrigue to Swell O's music, making their infectious tracks even more groovy and, dare I say, danceable. Put on the album's title track, Morning Haze, and you'll be utterly compelled to sing and dance around your house (I can say this because I did it, several times, and I have absolutely no shame).  Hitchhiker is another song on the album that brings a similar energy. Make no mistake, there's nothing flippant about this album, made apparent on the song Summit. This one is a bit more progressive in composition with inspirational lyrics about perseverance. Black Cat is a super psychedelic number with some guitar work that I can really appreciate. The super groovy Earthship No. 2 does a great job of showcasing the band's skillful musicianship. Shine Through slows things down a bit but maintains the fuzz factor and heaviness while serving up some more of those relatable lyrics. Finally, the album ends with Venom, which has a discernible punk rock feel. Like I said earlier, Swell O does a phenomenal job at providing variety, proving with their album Morning Haze that they can successfully do a little bit of everything. You'll never be bored with this one. Furthermore, because the album is so vibrant, it's one I'd highly recommend listening to when you need a mood and/or energy boost. 

   

Since the release of Morning Haze, Swell O was joined by new bassist, Christian, and drummer, Jens, who I'm sure will contribute even more to the band's unique style. Currently, the band is keeping busy with live performances in the new year, many with some fellow awesome bands from the unparalleled German stoner rock scene (including one of my personal favorites, FUSER, on February 24, 2024).

To keep up with Swell O, their live gigs, their music, and generally show them some much-deserved love, give them a follow on Facebook and Instagram. You can also listen to them on Spotify and Bandcamp

Comments

Popular Posts