Late to the Party: Satin Banshee - Heavy Garage Death Glam


 Man. 

It's one thing to discover a band that released an album several months or even years ago; I don't feel so bad when that's the case. But, when an absolutely stellar band flies right under my radar with an album that was released a mere month ago, I get a bit frustrated with myself. I know, I know... it's impossible to hear everything, but I hate it when I miss something THIS GOOD when it comes out. So, it's high time to introduce you to Satin Banshee, an absolute gem of an underground band from Chicago. 

Satin Banshee plays "heavy garage death glam". 

"Heavy garage death glam?" I hear you ask, "What the hell is that?" 

It's great, and it's exactly what it sounds like. Satin Banshee delivers the campy style of glam rock combined with vibrant garage rock, but always with a discernible vein of darkness snaking throughout their sound. 

A Town Called Doom


Satin Banshee released their debut full length album, A Town Called Doom, on December 29, 2023. When I saw its simple yet rather grim album cover, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was leaning more toward some dismal, slow, droning funeral doom. What I got were some incredibly fun, psychedelic garage rock jams, with a few introspective, thought-provoking pieces peppered in. Don't let the label of "garage rock" fool you though; there's some stellar musicianship present on A Town Called Doom along with some powerful, melodic, alternative rock-style vocals that remind me a bit of Josh Homme at times. As I mentioned earlier, in spite of that energy, there is an equal amount of darkness present on this album in the form of some post punk/early dark wave vibes, and lyrics that surprise you occasionally by being either darkly tongue-in-cheek or serious and relatable. Furthermore, Satin Banshee also gives us  tastes of stoner, alternative, and psychedelic rock throughout the album. It probably goes without saying that these characteristics make for an incredible amount of variety on A Town Called Doom

My favorite songs on A Town Called Doom are the sexy and groovy Little Evil, the darker and slithering Skip Your Bones (which includes the very intriguing lyric: "Shoes sometimes feel tight just to spite your feet"), the dreamy, airy Long Way Down ("Maybe the trip ain't worth the fall"), and the somber and regretful Gotta Get Back, which is a bit more serious and certainly relatable. 

No matter what you need or are in the mood for, Satin Banshee has you covered. Feel like dancing? Put on A Town Called Doom. Going through a bad break-up? A Town Called Doom. Feeling kind of pissy and need something relatable to cheer you up? Do I have to say it? Don't miss out on this incredibly fun and edgy debut from Satin Banshee!

   


You can keep up with Satin Banshee and their killer live performances on Facebook and Instagram, and lend them your ears on Bandcamp, and Spotify

HAIL SATIN! 

Satin Banshee is:

Jordan Marks - guitar, vocals, synths
Aaron Crowe - bass, guitar, synths, vocals
Jack Yanda - drums, vocals




Comments

Popular Posts